Yesterday was Earth Day and at office a very beautiful video was played for us. Out of all the elements I caught fancy of the trees topic. 🙂 It turns out I miss them dearly. I remember growing up with trees all around in the city, in the street where I grew up but somehow I dont see them often. I dont see kids climbing them to pluck fruits, they dont swing on the thick branches or play hide and seek in them.
So I present to you facts about trees [Source- Various: Videos, google and books]
- No Tree ever dies of old age. It is Nature that takes toll in the form of Insects, calamities etc.
- Some trees can talk to each other. They generally do so when there is an insect attack. They emit a chemical that tells others about the attack.
- Trees grow from the top, not from the bottom as is commonly believed.
- The net cooling effect of a healthy tree is equivalent to 10 room-size air conditioners operating 20 hours a day.
- Trees reduce noise pollution by absorbing sounds.
- The death of one 70-year old tree would return over three tons of carbon to the atmosphere.
- The world’s oldest trees are 4,600 year old Bristlecone pines in the USA.
- Dendrochronology is the science of calculating a tree’s age by its rings.
- A single edition of a daily newspaper uses the wood from approximately 5,000 trees to make the paper.One tonne of recycled paper saves approximately 15 trees and their habitat.
- There are rules set by Karnataka Government for cutting trees in ones own compound. You can read them here.
Do you love trees?
This post is a past of A-Z Blogging challenge.